What is meta? ×
Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 150 Stack Exchange communities.

Possible Duplicate:
Keyboard Glyphs

Some answers contain characters that look like keyboard keys, used as e.g. Ctrl+E.

What markup do I need to add to make Ctrl and E look like actual keys?
That's not mentioned in the formatting help.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Adam Lear Dec 2 '11 at 5:41

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

+1 for adding this to the formatting help (rather than having needed Google to come up with this page). – Jon Schneider Nov 30 '11 at 17:36

2 Answers 2

up vote 190 down vote accepted

Use the


tag, like <kbd>Shift</kbd>+<kbd>Enter</kbd> for Shift+Enter.

After this answer was accepted, the <kbd> tag was disabled on Meta. It then still worked on SO, SF and SU. Meanwhile it has been enabled on Meta again as well.

share|improve this answer
Why is it disabled on meta? – C. Ross Jun 17 '10 at 21:08
@C. Ross - Jeff felt that people were abusing them. meta.stackexchange.com/questions/1939/… – Brandon Jun 17 '10 at 21:16
Should add this to the FAQ and/or editor help – dplass Jun 17 '10 at 21:27
It doesn't seem to work in comments. :( – David Harkness Jan 16 '13 at 17:41
+1 for adding <kbd> to comments. – Deqing Apr 19 '13 at 3:47
Excellent. Very helpful. Just what I wanted to do. – user973810 Nov 19 '14 at 14:19
Is there a way to add arrow keys? – Eoin Jan 27 at 15:24
@Eoin, use html entities for arrow keys. &rarr; inside keyboard tags will show a right arrow. – Brandon Jan 27 at 15:46
@Brandon amazeballs thanks! – Eoin Jan 28 at 16:11

Use the kbd tag: <kbd>Ctrl</kbd>+<kbd>E</kbd>.


share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .