This is a general policy/netiquette question for the sites?
- Some people like to include 'signatures' in their answers
- But signatures are redundant, since the poster's gravatar is already on each answer.
- Some signatures have links, which I think are appropriate for articles but not for answers, since the link should already be part of your profile for those that are interested.
- Most answers have neither signatures nor links.
- Links in signatures won't actually increase the search-engine ranking of the linked-to web site, since they're automatically marked rel=nofollow
- Links in answers tends to 'clutter' the thread
So what is the policy, official or otherwise?
This post is a community wiki, with some stock answers for up/down votes (note there is no penalty for downvoting a wiki post). Salient points/opinions should be added as wiki posts also please.
If a consensus is reached, perhaps it should be added to the FAQ. If link-farming is deemed OK, my site could use the exposure as much as anyone else's ;-)
EDIT: Why should we care? Other than the cluttering and he/she-does-it-so-I-want-to-also issues, if signatures and links are OK then they should be respected when editing and/or consolidating answers. If not then it is OK to edit an answer to remove the signature/link clutter.