Why does the default time range on the ‘recent activity’ page work as it does?
Something seems to be broken with Recent Activity:
- After being away from the site for a while, the first time I click on the envelope icon (which took me quite a long time to discover), I see one collection of activity. If I click on it again a few minutes later, the list is gone.
- The time period covered seems to vary from a few seconds to more than a day.
- There isn't a "recent" button along with "today", "yesterday", etc., which I found to be confusing (if I click on "today", the only way to see recent again is to click on the envelope icon).
- Change the concept of "recent" to be something concrete, like maybe the last 12 hours.
- Add a button in the main menu for "Activity," to replace the envelope icon.
- Add a button on the activity page for "recent"
- Have the time range end at the present, rather than extending into the future as it does now (which is confusing). AFAIK, it's not possible to have activity at a time that hasn't happened yet.
- Display the time range in the user's local time zone, rather than GMT.
When I clicked on the envelope icon this morning (after clicking on the Questions button to refresh my session), Recent Activity reported:
2009-11-25 18:28:19Z to 2009-11-25 23:59:59Z
all times are in UTC; the current time is 2009-11-25 18:28:26Z
in other words, it's reporting activity over the last 7 seconds. I don't find that particularly useful (nor do I think this is a duplicate of the post mentioned in the comments).