Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 158 Stack Exchange communities.

What is meta?
Here's how it works:
  1. Any Stack Exchange user can ask a question
  2. The community provides support, votes on ideas, and reports bugs
  3. Your voice helps shape the way Stack Exchange operates

We use a markup style system in a CMS. It works in a similar way to the system used for asking questions on stackoverflow (though it uses a different syntax).

I am curious if the text editing system used by stackoverflow (that I am typing into now) is a commercially available plug-in or if it was developed by the team.

What I really want to figure out how to do is add buttons for bold etc that manipulate the text inside the textarea, but I am having trouble tracking down suitable information. The URL button seems the most complicated, as it will renumber all the references throughout your text if needed...

share|improve this question
up vote 11 down vote accepted

You can download the editor here. And read up on the process here.

share|improve this answer
That is exactly what I was looking for. I can spend the rest of the day looking though the code... :-) – Rik Heywood Nov 26 '09 at 14:34

You can look at all tools used to build SO right here. As you can see, the editor WMD for Markdown is open source.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .