Ok I admit I'm being greedy. OpenID is working fine for me via WordPress. (For the record, I did read other questions and answers about login and OpenID, but didn't find the answer.)
But could the process contain fewer steps (either by my doing something differently, or by a change to SO)?
From memory, I think this is what I do now:
- click login
- click WordPress icon
- type my WordPress username
- click OK
- It takes me to WordPress with a very long URL and tells me to log in to WordPress
- I highlight the part of the URL that's extra, replace it with the word "login"
- It doesn't delete the part I tried to delete, so I highlight and delete all from "login" to end of line in the URL
- I press Enter
- I log in to WordPress
- It tells me I can click to go back to SO
- I click and I'm in
Is there a faster way?