I came up with an idea for how to begin putting an end to the edit/rollback wars and then the ensuing comments battle...
- What if you are only allowed to edit a post (not the author) once a day.
- What if you are also only allowed to rollback one edit to your post a day.
- There would not be a overall limit on the users ability to edit other posts other than the one edit per post per day.
- There would also not be a limit on the number of times a single post could be edited or rolledback (multiple users), but each edit/rollback would trigger the 24 hour wait...
- There is currently some threshold in place that allows a post to be edited after it is posted without calling it an edit. This same threshold could apply to the edit in case a mistake is made (fat fingered, mis-tagged, etc.) which would allow the editor a window of time to correct a mistake before getting locked out.
If either the editor or rollerbacker feel that the current state of the post is not acceptable and they are out of mods for the day, then a moderator can get flagged through the current process.