This question suggests that the servers used in the SO rack are not properly time sync'd:
- How are the servers clocks set? (ie, NTP, or otherwise?)
- Are they synchronized to the same source, each other, or what configuration do you use?
- Do you have a single source you use, and what stratum level is it?
- Who assigns a timestamp to a given post - the Database, or HTTP server?
I'm not so concerned about keeping time exact with the rest of the world, this is primarily due to the possibility of gaming the system.
I can imagine a scenario where the web-facing servers are tested to find out which one is 'slowest' - several seconds behind the other servers - and then using that very slight advantage to exploit the FGITW issue.
This would only work if
- The servers are not adequately time synchronized (ie, to within a second)
- The HTTP servers assign the official post time to the post
Granted, it's a small advantage, and possibly not worth worrying about, but you may find that over time other interesting problems crop up if the systems are not properly time synchronized. A good configuration using NTP should yield a server to server difference of less than 10mS - certainly enough to eliminate concerns over gaming, and to avoid other problems.