- Pull up something with a wildcard tag which matches lots of tags. I ran into this while using the
- Change the sort order to
featured(or any of the links below
Ask Question). For
django~, you end up at a URL like this.
- The response headers indicate a 404 response, even though the page is blank.
- The URL is 2,262 characters long, which the browser and/or server doesn't handle well.
- Microsoft has documented their maximum URL length in IE at 2,083 characters. I don't know if other browsers have different limitations, but Firefox and Safari both receive 404 errors.
- If you do this on wildcard tags which match much fewer tags, such as this one (for
python~), everything works as expected.
The first thing that came to my mind was to reuse the
tagname being passed in. When constructing links, use a sanitized version of the original
tagname string. The current functionality appears to construct the URL using the tags which resulted from the search. Using the original
tagname string would result in a URL like this one (shown below), when clicking on