Currently, the UserVoice entry "Notify comments for comments" has 69 votes and is ranked 14th. It calls for notifying users whenever comments are added to answers they left comments on.
I would like to be able to define the level of notification I get when I answer or leave a comment on a question, on a question-by-question basis. Options should be:
- any other answer
- any other comments (to the answer I have left a comment, which is what the UV entry is about)
- any other comments (even on other answer I have not commented)
Those notifications could be signaled by a new color of notification bubble, listed separately from the current "responses" tab.
The idea remains:
If I have been involved in a question (answer or comment), I want to know as soon as possible about any activity on that question.
a) Is this an insane idea
- from the user's point of view?
Maybe very active members would dislike being "notified" every two seconds because of their many answers. But again, that is why I have proposed different levels of notification.
- from the SO team's point of view?
Maybe the database requests involved would be too much of a hurdle for the system.
b) Would you rather have a daily e-mail notification system (like you already have when you are posting a question)?
I think that would not be a good solution since:
- the interesting thing about this kind of notification would be to be able to respond/comment immediately (while the other users are still around and invested in the question).
That means a 'daily' update is not very useful in this case.
- I cannot see these e-mails at work (personal e-mails are blocked, sadly)