Given the commotion around 'banning' web-apps from Super User and that Jeff already suggested it as a 'new' Trilogy site, I would like to ask for some help defining the proposal for a Web Applications Stack Exchange site.
Though I've made a proposal on meta.stackexchange.com, I think that not everyone interested in this site is actually looking on MSE, so therefore this shameless plug! If you want this site: put your votes and comments where your mouth is!
This site will be aimed at questions on using web applications. The first that come to mind (and which are explicitly banned from SU) are Facebook, Twitter and Wordpress. Though off course Google Apps or Gmail and other web apps would suffice.
People who have questions about using web apps
Personally I would love this site to replace the current help/support forums of the above named sites. But excluding the following:
- This site should not be aimed at programmers, who want to program a web app, we have Stack Overflow for that.
- I'm not sure if intranet and SaaS applications would be suited or if that's more a target of Server Fault.
- It's also not for web designers with questions about CSS, HTML, web design and email design problems. They should go to DocType.
- Bloggers, how do you deal with spam?
- How do I make Facebook block a friend’s Mafia Wars updates?
- Facebook: Upload problem with the (java) photo uploader
- How do I download photos tagged of me from Facebook?
- How do I search someone’s tweets?
- Can I auto-forward Gmail to multiple addresses?
- Twitter image encoding challenge (belongs on Stack Overflow)
- Where are the best resources for learning how to create Drupal Themes from a visual design? (belongs on DocType)
- What's your favorite Facebook game?, (subjective, though that's not always a problem)
- Who should I follow on Twitter?, (also subjective, though the answer is Britney or Ashton)
- What is a good hosting solution in Elbonian? (too localized as opposed to a general version)
- With a web os, can the browser still be in the device by itself? (not a real question)
- Where can I download ....... (fill in warez, movies or anything illegal)?
I would love to get some feedback on the following discussion points:
There might be a problem with the scope of this site.
As to quote Jeff Atwood:
such a site would be ridiculously broad -- "ask questions here about .. uh .. any website on the internet!!" So I hope you can see why we don't want this for SU which is already quite broad in scope.
Perhaps the current scope (any question on any site) might be a little ambitious, I'm sure we will find a compromise somewhere.
There's also a grey-area, considering things like:
- Where's the border between asking how to put in some code for Google Analytics on your Wordpress blog and changing the CSS layout? The first would fit this site, the other DocType or StackOverflow if it required some programming.
- Chrome OS, is it a real OS like Windows/OSX and does it belong on Super User? Or is it one large web app and belongs it on this site?
- Browsers vs web apps, some questions might be about integration of specific web apps into the browser. Is this a browser or a web apps question or perhaps both?
- Desktop/Adobe Air apps, things like TweetDeck and Adobe Air or Mozilla's Prism create a grey area around desktop and web apps. I would say these are on-topic here and make them off-topic for Super User.
- SEO and website optimization, given that people will ask questions about using a website, it might lead to people also wanting to ask questions related to managing their website. I would consider these off-topic, since this would be more for creators rather than users of websites. Plus there are already several proposals for these kind of topics, which would suit the questions better.
So any suggestions on making the distinction clear would be great!
Oh and please propose a name as well!