UPDATE: The site is live and has quite a few features already: http://m.stackoverflow.quickmediasolutions.com/
Please let me know what you think.
The number of upvotes on this post have made me realize just how many people want an iPhone/mobile version of StackOverflow!
So, now that the API is in private beta, there is the possibility for someone to make a front-end for StackOverflow that is optimized for mobile-devices.
I am considering undertaking this, but I will need your advice:
- Do you want just a low-fi HTML version, or a WAP/WML version? (Of course, we will need an HTML version if iPhones are going to be supported.)
- What functionality do you want exposed?
I want to make one thing clear: this site will be read-only! You will not be able to post/comment/vote or anything like that. This is because the API is currently read-only.
Your opinion is valuable, so please comment/answer this question.
The benefits of this site:
- Extremely small pages: average is maybe ~4KB a page.
- Light on graphics: the only image is the logo which is ~2KB and is cached automatically
Note: actually that's not quite true - viewing a user's profile brings in images from Gravatar :)
- Fast: pages are served as fast as the SO API serves the data to me