Apologies if this question has already been covered somewhere in the plethora of information released in the last couple of days.
While we can vote yes/no for the defining questions of any Area 51 proposal, I also want to be able to effectively downvote an Area 51 proposal. It seems the only way to disapprove of a site is to either:
- post a comment at the top (above the question list)
- cast a positive vote for a negative comment
- just generally ignore it
I don't like the 'just ignore it' approach as that is like bitching about the result of an election when you couldn't be bothered even voting, and lack of a vote is not the same as voting against it. A site should not get to beta because 5% of the participants voted or reacted positively but the other 95% of participants could not do anything about it even if they wanted to.
Mostly the reasons I want to cast negative votes is because I feel the proposal is too broad, too narrowly defined, or is already adequately covered by an existing site.
I saw this post talking about close votes, but despite a 6K+ combined reputation I don't have an option to cast a close vote, and nor do I want to as a close vote should be distinct from a negative vote.