Guys, this is getting really, really ridiculous.
I really liked the system you guys set up here. I really wanted it to work. It was a great idea and it's a great way to solve problems. But so far:
- Six times I've had a question I've been unable to answer myself.
- Six times I've looked at these sites, six times considered which website I knew about matched the category of my question closest.
- Six times posted the question.
- Six times had it closed for being off topic.
- Six times been linked to yet another identical website that I've never heard of.
- Six times had to register yet again.
- Six times had to re-post my question.
- Six times had to start off with zero reputation.
- Six times been unable to even upvote the intelligent responses that people have given me.
I'm about this close to giving up on everything and going back to the old forum-style way of doing things. It's this close to not being worth my time anymore.
I know it's a rant. I'm sorry if you don't want to hear a rant, I'm sorry if a rant is off topic for meta and this thread is going to have to be closed, and you're going to have to link me to Rant Overflow, where I'm going to have to register another account.
But if I was running these sites, this is exactly the kind of valuable user feedback I'd be looking for, feedback from an intelligent, potentially highly contributing member of the community who is about this close to simply going elsewhere in the future.
EDIT: The cardinal sin of the internet. Posting while upset. Sorry for not just sleeping on it. Allow me to clear up some of everyone's confusion:
I am not, in fact, intimately familiar with everything about the overflow mechanic, template, and how it operates. I hadn't ever heard of the area51 website, and what it does. I didn't have a clue. I didn't know that your "network" extends to only those four websites. I figured with the deluge of absolutely identical-looking websites with identical-looking mechanics, that they were all run by the same group.
So, yeah, no, half of my problems are not related to your "network". Intrepid sleuths in the comments have located all the "in network" threads, and after sufficiently embarrassing myself here with my little tirade, I'm not about to link out to the relevant "out of network" posts that I was talking about. Forgive me for the damage control.
So, yeah, consign this thread to oblivion or leave it, do what you will. But just try to see where a guy like me was coming from, because I'd like to think I'm an average user. In a network filled with threads like this one and this one, a guy posts a very exhaustive, well-formed, intelligent question, with tons of supporting details, only to come back the very next day and find "CLOSED: OFF-TOPIC, TRY THIS OTHER SITE."
Do what you will.