We're getting closer to launching the commitment phase on Area 51, but before we do we thought we'd gather some feedback on how it's going to work.
Joel describes the goals of the commitment phase in this question:
So, we created a commitment phase... a phase where we gather a list of people for two purposes:
- So that we can email them all when the site opens, bringing in a critical mass of people all at the same time.
- So that we can gauge whether there are enough people interested in Q&A on a given topic.
Since the primary goal of the commitment phase is to get people to sign up, it makes sense to reward people for getting others to sign up.
We imagine it working roughly like Amazon affiliate links (or Mafia Wars, as Jeff likes to refer to it):
- You email anyone you think might be interested a special link which includes a token (available now in the "Share It" popup)
- If they follow the link, they get a cookie with your referrer token in it
- If they commit to the proposal, you get +5 reputation (tentative)
- If they follow through on their commitment and participate in the site, you get +25 reputation (also tentative)
- On the commitment page, you can see your referrals, and see how many people others have referred (a list of top referrers, perhaps?)
- New badges will be available for referring your first user, 10 users, 25 users, etc.
Questions? Concerns? Love it? Hate it? Already figuring out how to game it?
Edit: We should also credit this question for the initial idea of rewarding referrals
Edit: Based on feedback, we're now proposing giving a small amount of rep for the commitment, and a big chunk of rep if they actually follow through. Also keep in mind that we won't just be looking at number of committers in order to get to Beta, we'll be looking at how those users have contributed to existing sites.