What is meta? ×
Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 150 Stack Exchange communities.

How do I type a 'soft return' in stackoverflow Q&A? Of course I can type 'shift enter' but it produces a hard return and a blank line. I want a new line without a blank line.

share|improve this question
What purpose do you have for this? I don't see a use case for this feature. – Thomas Owens Aug 6 '10 at 10:13
You must be kidding me? Anybody: how to get a newline in a comment - T.O.'s comment is my use case. – Gerard Aug 6 '10 at 14:27
No newlines in comments. – Ladybug Killer Aug 6 '10 at 15:08

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

To specifically answer your question:

To have a new
this. Simply follow the end of the first line with 2 spaces and then a new line.

Here is the source of above

share|improve this answer
Funny, I always just used a br tag. – Brian Aug 6 '10 at 18:28
@Brian, you learn something new every day! – jjnguy Aug 6 '10 at 18:47



which is linked from

  • the small [?] to the upper right of every edit area
  • the "full reference" link in the sidebar of any ask or edit page
  • the /faq

(search for <br or linebreak if you can't find it in the file, but it is near the top)

share|improve this answer
Very useful link – Gerard Aug 6 '10 at 14:30
@Gerard: The link is always available for you, when you type an answer/question on SO. Click the question mark in the upper right of the text box. – Ladybug Killer Aug 6 '10 at 15:07

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .