So I see that there is finally a master list of sites that I suggested a while ago (thanks!), but I just thought I might give some suggestions on how it could be improved. Since the
status-completed tag was added 20 hours ago I might be just saying things that might be implemented soon, but I just want to get all of them out
Link it in the FAQ - Maybe after the initial list of obvious alternatives, why not say
- Subject not listed? Try the Site Directory to find the best site.
Lack of mentioning this will just give us the origional problem of people not knowing other sites exist.
Give it a link at the bottom of the page - This might be an issue, as space is already short. But would a small
- List stackapps, SO Careers, Area 51, and DocType (sister section perhaps?). They are all worthy of mention
- Put Meta's next to site, as well as an explanation of meta at the bottom - This would be something useful, as right now most people don't know what Meta is
- Put chat next to SO - Why not? Need to be registered and have reputation anyway
- Give it an RSS feed - What would be the quickest way to spread the word that a new site is out? RSS! If you have hundreds of people subscribe, and a beta for Military Hardware is created, you now have tons of new people! And now your not relying solely on people that constantly follow Area 51 (IE me, because I can only commit to 3 things, and such things take a while, and the notifications are a little spammy). The half an hour of writing a RSS feed would tremendously help out any new site.
Just some suggestions. Thoughts?