One of the things I like to do from time to time is to look through old questions to see if I can answer them. Many times I just click the
Unanswered tab and go to the last page and work my way up. This list is always growing and so is the amount of questions in general that are just forgotten about because the OP was just a passer by or never cared to accept an answer.
If there is at least an accepted answer I wouldn't waste so much time looking at the question and having to read through all the answers to see if I should post my own... anyways that is just my problem.
So I was thinking of a solution to get more answers 'accepted' or closed in general that would never actually have that chance even though they possibly have great answers with or without votes. A system could be implemented similar to the
Flag post feature. A user would click it and vote for one of the accepted answers to be accepted. Once a certain amount of votes were received (say 3) that were all for the same response, it awards the accepted answer.
So this feature would need all sorts of restrictions around it like possibly:
- Option to do this would only appear for answers that have not been touched for 60+ days and have no accepted answer and at least 1 answer.
- The only people that could vote would be restricted to some rep level teir... maybe adding as a feature to those with above 12k or something (once you get to 10k you got nothing more to reach for so it's always nice to 'level up' and get a new skill).
- Max amount you can do per day just like the flag post votes
- Need some sort of visual element to say this was accepted by the community or something.
I think this would help because:
- More questions get 'closed' but could be left open as well. It's a action by people making the decision and letting the users (hi rep) of the system decide.
- Opportunity to create more badges from people helping to clean up the system such as the editor badges etc. Eg badge for helping vote for 50+ accepted answers
- It makes answering a question that you know will never be accepted or possibly voted up because it's a rare tag, worth while to answer since there is a chance it could complete the question at some point.
- Many times I see a great answer but upvoting it sometimes isn't enough... you know it is the right answer but others will have to sift through it because your one upvote made it tie with the 5 other 1 upvote mediocre answers and the question is ancient so the chances of someone else coming along to answer it are low.