I started to post this answer, then like 8 people went and added answers while I was typing, go figure.
If you're not playing along on the home game then what the hell are you doing on meta? Get over here: http://chat.meta.stackoverflow.com/transcript/89/2010/12/22/21-23 (start of transcript, but it goes on and on and on and on and and and )
Only up to ten reps earnable per day, +1 per star
I think that so long as we're earning (a) badge(s) from chat, we might as well let reps be earned there as well. So long as the reps are limited to a certain number per day, and so long as the reps count towards the regular caps, then I don't see the problem.
Which brings me to my other point. Guys like NickCraver(js)1 or LasseVKarlsen(c#)1 are in there all day helping people work out problems, most of the time those are already SO questions that get oneboxed, but it needs the touch of discussion to bring out what the real problem is. So I think those guys2 who give up their time to make things work better are helping out and should be rewarded.
Caveats to my proposal:
- Could be a form of ring-upvoting.
- I'm only suggesting that we give up to 1 upvote equivalent per day. It's kind of hard to abuse that, except by being active EVERY DAY and having a ring. It's also not hard to spot a ring like that, so I think that takes care of itself by and large.
- Additionally, what's to stop me from colluding with five or six other people to upvote each other's posts everytime we post something?
- Could be abused for things like upvoting youtube links
- So what? We do that crap anyways on SO and MSO (especially on MSO)
- It would artificially inflate the levels of reps in play on SE sites (inflation)
- I've been told this is not a bad thing (inflation) when commenting on Jeff and Joel comments
- Remember I'm in favor of two things:
a rep-limit on starred posts and it must count towards the regular repcap anyways.
- A lot of people don't like this idea
- So what? A lot of people don't like the idea of a lot of things, I happen to think this is a valid idea given the badges already being in play. I like the idea a lot more for it to be heavily restricted to only the equivalence of 1 question upvote per day, as it encourages casual upvoting and discourages serial upvoting.4
- There's not a lot of helping going on in "The Tavern" or any of the meta.SO chats!
- And so we don't have pointless upvoting and backwards downvoting on meta anyways?
- How do you downvote this way?
- Don't? I don't know, I don't think the thirdplace needs to have downvotes. It has flags, that's good enough. The idea is rewarding socially helpful behavior. Does SOIS need to be that group, to reward socially helpful behavior? Probably not. I'm not arguing for that.
There should be a place where people can communicate normally without the complexities of a reputation system
- Ok, I'll grant you that, but consider that there's no "mark as answer" on chat, and it encourages people to USE the thirdplace, so we should encourage that usage, enabling people to communicate normally.
- How does it become complex if people get an added bonus of starring things? Do we need to discourage starring? Will we start seeing [star]15 on things a lot? Maybe so. But there's already [star]XX on things, because people find them useful. The idea was to find things useful on the transcript.
- It's already complex. And beautifully simple. And @MarcGravell and @balpha and @waffles and all the rest of the team, it is AWESOME.
This encourages people to use the third place and it fosters social interaction, but does it encourage helping each other? Well, if we're social creatures and we play nice and we get along, inevitably we're going to help each other out. We can't help BUT do so. Rather than thinking people are selfish, I'm an optimist and would rather see that we (at least SE members) do want to help each other.
footnotes. Yes footnotes. This ain't FHC land, this is the new hotness
1 note that I chose those two gentlemen in my example in part because of their high rep on SO and in part because of their willingness to help, but there's lots of guys doing that
2 not just the two I mention, and not only men, let's be clear, I mean all assisters
3 which we have a close vote for
4 there's already rules in place to stop serial upvoting on SE sites
Ok, now feel free to savage my ideas.
This is for @mootinator coming in behind me with an excellent idea before I finished. What if mine and his ideas were combined somehow? Like for every star you have to spend a rep (which for most of us is no deal breaker) but you still only get the cap on points?