Allow the user to hide its own reputation value and/or badges similarly as visible on wiki pages. If the visitor wants to know your reputation, he/she has to view it on your user page.
Scenarios why to do it:
- You have so much rep/badge, that your name gets recognized wherever you post
- You want to be just helpful and you show this by not advertising how 'good repped' you are, but rather focus on a good answer
- Implicit 'reputation' by name within the community - same as in the real world
Scenarios why not to do it:
- Could impose transparency problems regarding to the site's basic concepts
- Hard to implement on a per user basis
- Concerns about showing/hiding it in the question part or in answers.
Follow-up to this question of mine.