I have a solution for this now. I was thinking about this very problem the other day and I began thinking of a way I could give users the ability to completely customize their flair - this means:
- Choice of colors for each and every part of the flair
- Choice of font / typeface / style for each part
- The ability to change the size of the flair and set borders
- The ability to decide exactly what you want on the flair
- The ability to decide where each component of the flair is placed
I am pleased to present an open beta of StackImage 2:
Using this tool is as simple as dragging and dropping components onto your flair and setting their properties. When you're done, just hit 'save' and the site will give you some HTML/JS to copy-and-paste into your site. The flair will also stay up to date just like the Stack Exchange-provided flair.
Here is a screenshot of a possible design and a preview of what it would look like:
The tools are in the toolbox on the left. On the right you can see the grid where the components are placed. These represent the individual parts of the flair. You can customize them by dragging them around, changing their color, etc.
Please let me know if you find any bugs with this tool.