What is meta? ×
Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 150 Stack Exchange communities.

I have seen at the bottom of either a question or answer a link called link. When I mouse over it, the tooltip says Permalink to this question or Permalink to this answer.

What does this actually mean?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

"Permalink" is a portmanteau of the words "permanent" and "link".

It's a fancy Web-2.0 word for links that will not change with time, so you can use them to link to their targets from various sources without worrying about them moving on you.

Granted, the term "permanent link" would be more accessible to non-native English speakers. Atwood's Angels should fix that.

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the explanation. Though "permanent link" would have been more accessible for non-native English speakers, neither did I know what was a permamnent link. I now know because of you. Thanks! =) – Will Marcouiller Nov 25 '10 at 20:33
@Will: It's actually a fairly common term for sites that can more than one way of viewing the same content. Perhaps "Direct link" would be more meaningful to you? – XMLbog Nov 25 '10 at 20:43
@26 years of Welbog: Yes, "Direct link" is more meaningful to me. =) – Will Marcouiller Dec 6 '10 at 14:36

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .