This already happens after changes to the homepage made in November 2010. See this blog post. for full details.
Here’s how it works. Starting with a
list of the last 3,000 active
- drop questions containing any of your ignored tags
- drop closed questions if you lack the reputation required to vote for
- drop questions scoring -4 or lower
Next, apply the following score
formula to the remaining questions:
- your interesting tags +1,500 per interesting tag, up to +2,000 total
- your top 40 scoring tags maximum of +1,000 per tag (scaled), up to +2,000 total
- question score +200 × score, up to +1,000 total
- total answer score -200 × score, up to -1,000 total
- number of answers -200 × answers, up to -1,000 total
- number of views -15 × views, up to -1,000 total
- question last activity date -1 × (seconds / 15)
Count it all up and take the top 90 by
We also mix in a few random questions
from the last 3,000 — 10% (9) for
logged in users and 20% (18) for
Also, see this question for a community maintained list of recent changes.
This formula applies to questions on http://stackoverflow.com if you browse to http://stackoverflow.com/questions then the questions are filtered based on the tab selection.