In one of my game designer moments, it occurred to me that a feature that would be a lot of fun on StackOverflow/StackExchange sites would be allowing users to choose a "title" for themselves based on their badges. The way this would work would be:
- The user could select up to three of their badges on a given site to build their title out of.
- The user could select the order the badge names appeared in within the title.
- The resulting title would appear with the user's identifying information. For example, ID blocks with titles might look like:
This serves the purpose of giving users an achievement-based way of customizing their appearance on the site, which people always love, and of increasing the value of badges by giving them additional utility. I would also give SE flair considerably more personal style. (One potential use for the functionality, from an answer, is to use titles only in flair.)
Badge names which do not seem to lend themselves well to title formation, like "Nice Answer", could be addressed in a number of ways:
- Ignoring the issue; if people want to construct a title that doesn't make sense, let them.
- Some badges could have an alternate appearance for title purposes, such as "Revival" becoming "Revivalist".
- Some badges could be excluded from title usage.
- Users could be given the ability to specify commas between the elements of their titles, allowing formations like "Nice Answer, Tumbleweed". (This option is near and dear to my heart because it tends to produce results that sound like the names of ships from Iain Banks's Culture sequence.)
If you have suggestions for enhancements to the concept, please post them as answers so they can be voted on.