As it is, we have to moderate edits by new users, so it seams reasonable as a stop-spam mechanism to require all external links from <50 rep users moderated.
A lot of the spam I see works like this:
- User joins
- User searches for all relevant posts.
- User pastes links to their product.
And 99% of the time, its the same bad link.
Once we get the spammer, they come back with a different name, and repeat from #1 with the same link.
However, if either links themselves required moderation to be posted, or all articles by new users with <50 rep with edits were automatically put into the moderation queue ( so they wouldn't appear till approved ) it would limit the amount of user-visible link-spam.
Even a nicer thing to have would be heurisitics on the users links, ie:
- This link has appeared more than once in the last $period
- This user has pasted >1 external link in the last $period
- This user has pasted this link >1 times in the last $period
etc, to quickly put a gag on spammers.