I want the community's opinion on this.
Suppose you have asked a question mainly about ASP.Net. The code-behind files can either be VB.Net or C#. The question is about ASP.Net, the fact that C# and VB.Net are related to ASP.Net is not directly relevant to the question.
- only include the tag ASP.Net, because...
- This is the tag that is relevant to the question.
- include the tags, ASP.Net, VB.Net and C#, because...
- The questions gets more views and therefore more chance of a good answer.
- These are the communities of coders that are most likely to have an answer for the question.
So basically, should you only include tags directly related to the question, or should you also include tags with related communities/technologies?
An example of what I mean can be seen from a question I asked on StackOverflow:
N.B. (Something I found on the StackOverflow FAQs)
From Tips for effectively tagging questions. FAQ question:
"Pick tags that show higher counts in the look-ahead prompts..."
"At a minimum, try to include at least one very broad tag (i.e., java or c#)..."