Follow up from: Discrepancy between user counts on Leagues versus Users page
I feel that the /leagues page should not count unregistered users. They have no rights on SE and can do very little. Nor will they ever garner rep (?is this right?), so why count them in the user count at the top of /leagues? It may be advantageous in a marketing sense to beef up the numbers but there are surely many other better metrics, like page views. At present, it is misleading because
- If we were to count anons, then anyone "use"-ing the site from Google referrals is a user too? They may not even leave a question or answer, but they are not counted.
- The count of anons is an inexact science at best, since anons can spawn and respawn while being the same person (ok - so can registered users - but I think that is a fault in itself)
This request is to either
- report only registered users, so it
- matches with the count of users viewable in /users
- matches with the count of users when tallying up the pages-count x user-per-page in /leagues/4/alltime/- represents the domain of users that will ever possibly feature in the league tables (granted each period will only show a subset)
- In some way show a 2nd count, e.g.
Meta Stack Overflow Q&A for the Stack Exchange engine powering these sites total users: 24,940 (19,000 registered)
Meta Stack Overflow Q&A for the Stack Exchange engine powering these sites<br> total users: 24,940 registered users: 19,000