Would it be possible to have a “community accepted” feature?
People with reputation points >= 5000 should be allowed to vote for accepted answers for questions.
Right now, a lot of new people come in, do a hit and run question and never mark an answer as accepted. Using this mechanism would solve this problem.
It could work as the following, close to the "Close Question" mechanism in place:
- You must have 5000 reputation points or above to vote.
- You cannot vote for your own answer to be accepted.
- To mark an answer as accepted on a question with no accepted answer (for a day) requires 5 votes from the community.
- To discourage people from voting to advantage someone, a vote cost 10 rep.
- The OP of the question can mark an answer as accepted with no votes and override any votes without cost.
This mechanism could also be extended to allow the move of an accepted answer (if the accepted answer is wrong):
- To move an accepted answer, it requires 15 votes.
- Add 5 votes each time an accepted answer has been moved. (Ie.: second move requires 20 votes)