It seems to me there is a huge spam-hunt happening recently. I see members that go back to 2009 suddenly have almost all their answers flagged as spam. The latest victim is Hasan. His crime : posting links to his own blogspot in many answers he gave, but the links appear to be remotely related to the question (I'm no expert on PHP, so I can't judge that very well).
His answers get downvoted, but it looks as if they're downvoted while flagging. I could practically witness his reputation go down (101 when I saw his account first, half an hour ago, 1 now.) He has a few answers that apparently make sense. So it's not really a spam account. Yet, his account is very likely to get blocked after such an outburst of flags and downvotes.
To me this starts feeling like a witch hunt driven by the flag weight and deputy badge. If one person decides to flag the whole set of answers, definitely a few others will chime in and get that person in huge trouble.
So I wonder : is this what is intended to happen to such answers?
As the account apparently got deleted (automatically due to the heavy flagging/downvoting? ) I like to stress a few points :
- the user had some OK answers that were voted up and accepted by the OP of those questions
- the user had quite some answers that were added late to a question, and contained little more information than a link to a relevant article on his own blog
- some answers were posted the same date as the blog article, indicating he looked here for questions to add a link to.
- quite some other answers were posted quite later than the blog article, indicating he really just added it to the answer.
- his blogspot was free of ads, and there was no commercials whatsoever. It was a personal xxx.blogspot.com, so in that respect completely harmless.
The way this gets handled on SO seems a bit off the hook to me. I can't pinpoint how it came about, but this looks pretty much like a witch burning to me...