The Question pages are not meeting my needs either as a question poster or as a question answerer. The problem is, when there's a long list of questions, my eyes go to the ones that have zero answers, and I see if I might be able to answer those first. That's fine, but once I do that, my eyes don't know where to go next. I just see a bunch of questions with one or more answer, and I have no way to prioritize.
What I want to know is: Which questions are still awaiting a correct answer. There is no way to tell this from the current Question page design. You either know that a question has been successfully answered (because it's marked as "answered") or you know that a question has some answers that may or may not be of any use.
- As a question answerer, this is not enough information to guide my search.
- As a question poster, this is frustrating because it means my question is likely to be ignored once someone answers it, whether the answer is of any use or not. The frustration is especially high when my question is urgent.
- Add a clickable graphic that lets me mark my question as "still seeking answer".
- Alter the graphics in the question list so that people can visually distinguish questions still awaiting an answer from those that are either not being actively followed by the question author or are being adequately attended to.
- The clickable graphic is only available for questions that have one or more answers, and only available for questions where no answer has been marked as "the answer".
- If a new answer comes in or the question poster marks an answer as "the answer", the question is immediately unmarked as "still seeking answer".
- If the question poster is actively checking the question, he/she can re-mark the question "still seeking answer" if the new answer is no better than the first one.
- If a comment is added to a question or to an answer (by anyone but the question author) "still seeking answer" is unmarked.
- If an answer is edited, "still seeking answer" is unmarked.
- If a bounty is issued for the question, the question has not yet been marked as "answered", and the bounty has not been accepted, "still seeking answer" is automatically turned on.
- After a certain amount of time has passed (an hour?), have the "still awaiting answer" expire. If the question poster is still actively pursuing the question, he/she can re-mark it.
- If a question poster marks an answer as "still seeking answer" after the question has fallen pretty far down the list, bump it back to the top (a limited number of times).