What is meta? ×
Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 149 Stack Exchange communities.

The CC:Wiki License states that:

If you do not like the way that a person has made a derivative work or incorporated your work into a collective work, under the Creative Commons licenses, you may request removal of your name from the derivative work or the collective work.

How do I remove my name from a post, in accordance with this clause?

Also, what constitutes a derivative work? Does someone have to edit my post for it to be considered a derivative work?

Return to FAQ index

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 44 down vote accepted

Stack Overflow is a collective work to which you have granted license to display and use your work (i.e. the post). A derivative work means someone has taken your post and recast or transformed your work (under Creative Commons) into their own work.

If you would like to have your name disassociated from that post, you can request we do so by clicking on the 'contact us' link at the bottom of the page.

share|improve this answer
Could you also include in the answer steps to take when moderators fail to comply? –  vartec Jun 28 '11 at 21:44
@vartec If the moderators don't respond in a reasonable amount of time, whatever the issue is, contact the team (there's a link for that at the bottom of every page). –  Gilles Jun 29 '11 at 0:15
@Gilles: which is what I did, but that should be part of FAQ answer, not a comment. –  vartec Jun 29 '11 at 8:26
@vartec: the FAQ is for... um, questions that are asked frequently. This just doesn't come up often. –  Shog9 Jun 29 '11 at 23:15
@Shog: allegedly question about removing attribution from the post doesn't come that often in the first place. Given, that there are mods who are completely opposed to this, I believe its a valid point. I've tried on SU, moderators failed to comply, and I did have to notify SE team directly. –  vartec Jun 30 '11 at 7:46
@Shog9 - It came up! meta.stackexchange.com/q/197464/191410 ;) –  JDB Sep 19 '13 at 0:29
As a moderator, how do I "bring it to the attention of a developer"? Is there a way for moderators to flag a post at a higher level for SE employee review? –  JohnFx Mar 12 at 14:15
@JohnFx We have greatly simplified this process. Just have the author use the 'contact us' link at the bottom of the page. We cut out the middle man. If a moderator contacted us, we would just have to verify the wishes of the author anyway, so now they can contact us directly. I updated the post. –  Robert Cartaino Mar 12 at 14:18
The question already has a flag from the OP asking for it to be disconnected, and that's usually how it gets requested. I'll start this post anyway, in case I get a request in a different way. –  JohnFx Mar 12 at 14:25
@JohnFx In a situation like that, you can just send us a link to the request by either using the 'contact us' form or grabbing a community manager in the Teachers' Lounge. –  Robert Cartaino Mar 12 at 14:27

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .