What is meta? ×
Meta Stack Exchange is where users like you discuss bugs, features, and support issues that affect the software powering all 133 Stack Exchange communities.

When this isn't checked, it looks like 48 entries are displayed on the "home" page. When I checkmark this, only those same 48 minus those with my ignore tags are displayed, which, depending on how lucky/unlucky I am, means as few as 15 (when I look at stackoverflow.com right now) questions show up on the home page.

I think it should retrieve the latest 48 questions that have only my interesting tags rather than just "whittling down" the original 48 questions that include both interesting and ignored tags.

share|improve this question
    
Right now it's status-bydesign, tags are filtered on client side and I don't see that changing. –  Ian Elliott Jul 26 '09 at 17:43
1  
15 questions! That's lucky... I usually get 5 if I'm lucky (but I guess that's the consequence for excluding everything to do with .NET or the web...) –  Zifre Jul 26 '09 at 20:11
    
Heh, that's kind of a sad state of affairs if ~90% of the questions are .NET/web. :) I fully understand that it's being done on the client, and that it's much cheaper to do it that way, but it still is lame for someone with professional experience in the other ~10% of the tags to not get a crack at more than just a few questions from the home page. –  Jim Buck Jul 27 '09 at 1:02
1  
Well, after a few days of adding tags to ignore, I'm generally down to about where you are, Zifre - 5 or so. Too bad Jeff tagged this "status-declined". I would think most people who narrow down their tags will have this problem. I can understand not wanting to hit the server multiple times (potentially 10 times for those of us that have 5 questions per batch of 48), though, but it would make people more likely to answer more questions if they see more questions in their expertise tag "pool". –  Jim Buck Jul 29 '09 at 23:17
1  
One of the big problems I have with StackOverflow is finding the questions that I'm interested. Hiding ignored tags is a good way of doing that but it's badly defective the way it works now because if you don't want to read about .Net or Rails or some other combination of popular tags, it leaves you with a wildly varying number of items per page (often just 3 or 4). –  Dan Dyer Aug 30 '09 at 16:17
1  
Yes, I do have the problem as well, and there is also this 'blank' occupying the amount of space the hidden questions should take meaning that even navigation is affected! Sad that it's been rejected, really (and I don't even have the rep to vote this up :x) –  Matthieu M. Oct 7 '09 at 11:49
    
Sooo, was a changed made recently that puts up more tagged questions? I see tons of relevant questions on the main page lately, as if the server is sending more questions that are relevant to my tags. Jeff hadn't posted anything on the blog about it. –  Jim Buck Dec 11 '10 at 3:46

3 Answers 3

This wouldn't require moving the filtering to server-side. All it would take would be a second http request to say "oops - I don't have many questions, can I have some more please?" after the client-side filtering happened. This would be similar to the way slashdot pulls in more stories when you scroll to the bottom of the page.

share|improve this answer

That would be a great idea, in fact it'd be nice to be able to choose a differing number of questions shown, and in the 'home page' format if the user desired.

share|improve this answer

For that to be possible, they would have to filter it on the server-side. Right now they filter it using JavaScript, on your computer.

share|improve this answer
3  
Yep, I know how/why they do it, but it doesn't make it suck less. :) –  Jim Buck Jul 27 '09 at 0:59
    
That might be the key to your answer - request more questions using JavaScript, on your computer ;) –  BryanH Oct 12 '09 at 21:00

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .