Meta Stack Exchange (MSE) is the primary feedback and discussion space for issues that relate to the sites on the Stack Exchange Network and the software that powers this platform. Most questions here fall into one of four primary categories, which are reflected in a set of four "required" tags, at least one of which must appear on any question:
- support, which indicates a request for assistance with one of the site's features.
- bug, denoting a reproducible problem on the site that you believe is due to a mistake, malfunction, or programming error
- feature-request, for a proposal for a new feature on the site, or requests a change to an existing feature.
- discussion, for posts that may not have a clear-cut right or wrong answer and are often subjective. If it's not a bug or feature request, it is probably a discussion.
While each individual Stack Exchange site has their own child meta, Meta Stack Exchange is a place for issues that exist either network-wide or on a subset of sites - but not for one site alone.
Before asking a question, please look around to see if your question has been asked before. Many questions have already been answered in our collection of FAQs. It’s also OK to ask and answer your own question.
Questions that are a good fit here include:
- Questions about the Q&A platform that relate to the entire network or a group of sites on the network.
- Support questions about how the Stack Exchange Q&A platform works.
- Bugs that impact multiple sites.
- Feature requests for suggestions that would impact the entire network or multiple sites.
- Discussions about issues that relate to the network or a group of sites.
- Questions seeking to know which site on the network is the best match for a question or subject - use the site-recommendation tag.
- Meta questions in English that relate to one or more of the sites where the user interface is non-English - these sites are commonly referred to as the "International sites".
- Discussion about Meta Stack Exchange itself. MSE acts as its own meta site, so questions about various subject such as tagging, scope (what's on and off topic), and how to use MSE effectively are welcome here.
- Announcements from the company about future plans, new features, changes to policy, etc.
- FAQs that explain network-wide site functionality or policy.
Questions that belong elsewhere include:
- Questions about subjects other than Stack Exchange or the Stack Exchange sites - if you have a question about subjects such as math, programming, cooking or video games, we have sites for those, please use them! For a full list of these sites, please visit the site list.
- Meta questions that relate to only one site. Ask these on the child meta of the site they relate to (other than English questions about International sites).
- Questions about accessing or removing your account, a suspension you may have received, or other personal issues, particularly those that should be handled privately - if you can't find a solution in one of our FAQs, reach out to staff through the contact form.
- Questions about our Stack Overflow-centric products - these generally belong on Meta Stack Overflow.
- If you'd like to advertise on our network, please reach out to our Ad Sales team.
- Support questions regarding other platforms. We don't do support for and can not answer questions about websites outside our network.
If the question you wish to ask isn't on one of these two lists, look around and see if you see any similar questions to see if it seems appropriate here. If you have 20 reputation on Meta Stack Exchange, you may also ask about your question in chat.