Is there a keyboard shortcut for replying to messages, much like the up arrow is a shortcut for editing your previous message?

  • Related: "Add Keyboard Shorcuts to Stack Overflow", currently marked as "Status-Planned". Bear in mind this question was asked long before chat existed, so maybe when shortcuts come into play Chat will be involved too.
    – tombull89
    Commented Sep 2, 2011 at 13:03

2 Answers 2


Not built-in to the chat system, but SEChatModifications adds the capability. You hit Ctrl+Up until you've selected the message you want; in this screenshot I hit it three times:


Then you can hit miscellaneous keys to perform different actions on that message; r replies


For Chrome users who can't install the tool in Michael's answer, there is something in the Chrome Store, but it's not nearly as cool.

SE Chat Reply Helper

  • 2
    Chrome supports userscripts natively; I use it on Chrome. You might need Tampermonkey to install a script outside of the official store though Commented Aug 20, 2014 at 19:45
  • Works like a charm. Most awesome @MichaelMrozek. Thanks.
    – RubberDuck
    Commented Aug 20, 2014 at 20:05

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .