Here is my user experience
I recently had a question closed on me without given the time to improve it. Like all developers, we will get stuck on an impediment that we can't solve, sometimes late into the night. After asking a question, I typically disconnect for a rest (or sleep) and come back to see responses to either adjust my question based on feedback or accept an answer. In my instance, my question had already been auto-closed before I was given opportunity to go through the comments and respond accordingly.
Here's the question that was closed on me:
I may have not been able to word my question perfect, but I think my intentions are in align with the goal of Stack Overflow.
"No matter what programming language you use, or what operating system you call home – better programming is our goal."
"If your motivation for asking the question is “I would like to participate in a discussion about ______”, then you should not be asking here. However, if your motivation is “I would like others to explain ______ to me”, then you are probably OK"
I don't believe my question fell into any one of these categories.
- exact duplicate
- off topic
- not constructive
- not a real question
- too localized
- Users make mistakes in their questions
- Prevent down-voted questions from triggering a close before the user has the ability to review/improve/comment/flag.
- Provide a better user experience for the question/comment/answer/flagging process
- Increase both staff and user productivity
- Reduce server load
- Encourage users to ask questions
- Prevent users from forcing a question to be closed before it is flagged as uncontructive
- Auto-closing questions due to down-vote can have a negative impact on both users and staff
- User's reputation can inaccurately be affected
- The user is forced to use Moderator Flag to report unconstructive comment
- User productivity decreases due to time it takes to request to re-open
- Staff productivity decreases due to having to review the question
- The user's effort into a question isn't taken into consideration
- More server resources used due to the increase in question activity
- Users not given enough time to review comments and take action
- Close-votes trigger a delayed close to give the user the opportunity to review/improve/flag/comment