- A result of cluster analysis. 1
- An algorithm for cluster analysis, a method for statistical data analysis. 1
- Cluster (computing), the technique of linking a many computers together to act like a single computer. 2
- Data cluster, an allocation of contiguous storage in databases and file systems. 3
- In hash tables, the mapping of keys to nearby slots. 3
- The formation of clusters of linked nodes in a network, measured by the clustering coefficient. 1
There seem to be three popular meanings: various types related to cluster analysis (1), cluster-computing (2) and data storage/databases (3).
There are a number of related tags on Stack Overflow:
- clustering 681 (? probably mostly Type 1)
- cluster 475 (? probably mostly Type 2)
- cluster-computing 120 (Type 2)
- dataclustering 42 (Type 1)
- clustered-index 132 (Type 3)
- clustered 18 (Type 3?)
- clusters 16 (? probably mostly Type 2)
- database-cluster 7 (Mixture of types 2 and 3?)
In my opinion these tags would be more useful on SO if we did actually not have "cluster" and "clustering" tags (which are inherently used for both), but typing "cluster" will instead bring up the suggestions [cluster-analysis] and [cluster-computing]. In particular, when the questions are mostly using these tags, they should show up in the beginning of the list.
What do you think?