Is it possible to connect Stack Overflow (or other Stack Exchange) accounts with LinkedIn network? Is it possible to insert your stats into LinkedIn?
I've tried to collect all the information about this question. Maybe this helps someone in the future.
In this discussion I've found several valuable things:
- There is no official way to include your SO flair.
- It's not difficult to create this kind of application for LinkedIn.
- You can do this using a hack with Google Presentations but to my point of view it looks ugly.
In this discussion people show that SO and LinkedIn companies should make an agreement in order this app to be developed.
So we have a problem of a chicken and an egg. Nobody wants to develop this app before SO and LI have an agreement. And SO and LI do not want to make this agreement because nobody has tried to make this application.
I think we should create a request to LI and SO to develop this feature.
EDIT: Recently, I've discovered that it is possible to add links to your LI profile (summary section). Thus, using this feature you may add link to your SO flair into this section and it will display the flair for your SO profile.
I have it in my LinkedIn profile for about 2 years IIRC. Works like a charm. Shows my combined flair (you can use SO flair if you prefer), displays reputation and number of badges, updates automagically.
Step by step instructions on how to do that are provided eg here:
- First of all, make sure that you are in edit profile mode.
- Scroll down to your Summary section, your Experience section, or your Education section.
- Click on the add media link that looks like the little square box between the pen and the positioning arrow.
- Add your link. (Your video, image, document or presentation must have a URL address)
- Once you've added the link, you can edit the title field and description.
- Then all you have to do is hit save. And you've got your video your image your presentation smack dab in the middle of your LinkedIn profile.
After tinkering with this for some time, I have come to the conclusion that for me, the best approach is to link to my SO profile from within the Accomplishments -> Certifications section. It requires some manual maintenance (i.e. adjusting your profile score or whatever else you want to list) but it looks better than embedding the flair image. Here is how to do it:
- In the Accomplishments section, click the plus (+), then click Certification:
- Complete the form, making sure to select "Stack Overflow" as the Certification Authority. You can specify anything that you would like for the name. As you can see here, I am listing Skeet's score.
- Here is how the finished product looks. Notice there is an appropriately sized SO logo and a link to Skeet's profile.
Depending on what you enter for the Certification Name, you may have to periodically update your profile to reflect your current reputation or whatever else have listed (top x percentage, # of badges, etc).
Yeah, if LinkedIn profile allows to show images, yes.
Use Flair, more about Flairs here:
Other answers are valid, but not so straightforward, IMHO. So here is a very simple solution, as of 2020.
- Use the following link:
latestkeeps it up to date)
2778822by your SO ID, found on your profile https://meta.stackoverflow.com/users/flair
- (optional) Change the
themeparameter (accepted values are listed on the previous link)
- Use this link in your LinkedIn "About" section, as Link (to add it, go to profile -> add profile section -> Link. and paste the link of stackoverflow flair)
I personally used
StackOverflow - Top 3% #socratic #necromanceras link's "Title", but you can use anything you like
Example with my LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ambroise-dhenain/
Here is what the "edit media" view looks like, as of 2020:
The reason for this recommendation is simply because se-flair allows you to change the size of the png and thus avoid the crappy resolution that ends up showing on your profile if you use the png from https://stackexchange.com/users/flair/.png
In you linkedin profile select
Add profile section>
Paste the link to your se-falir:
<userid>is your SE user id. To find it simply have a look at the url of your profile on stackexchange, it will look something like:
https://stackexchange.com/users/1779931/jojo. You guessed right, the number after
users/is your user id.
- do not forget to put the @5x directly after your userid! This is the resolution multiplier that is responsible for the better resolution (here 5 times the original resolution).
So the link might look like this:
Add Title and Description to your Featured link, and you are done.
You'll end up with a high-res (but still cropped) flair under the
Featured selection in your profile (e.g. https://www.linkedin.com/in/j-i-l/).
Isn't stackoverflow (SO) and LinkedIn have competing business models? I believe stackoverflow and LinkedIn would never allow integration with each others network.
Both have strong social networking elements. SO's reputation is a far superior metric for endorsing ones knowledge as it comes from other techies reviewing your answers with much more insight and technical depth, whereas LinkedIn's endorsements are kind of shallow.
Recruiters have recently started using SO to search for candidates and contact them. I have been contacted a couple of times from SO.
It's important to keep in mind that the primary goal of SO is to build a community of fellow programmers, where they can help each other... however the propensity of good programmers (who want-to/can help others) with being a great hire is very high... hence the newly evolve use of SO for finding and hiring great programming talent is happening. And why not, it does make sense.
The earlier methods of sharing flair are deprecated and will go away eventually. Please use the simpler image flair from this point onward!
See https://stackoverflow.com/users/flair for the new way (current as of Jan 2014) to create a flair.