On Programmers.SE I noticed an edit by a user of 4K reputation that I feel changes the meaning of the original question (Revision 2) and I would have liked to roll back. However having not enough reputation here, my only possibility has been to click on “source”, copy the source block, and make a suggested edit with the contents of the original revision.

It would be IMO convenient for users that don't have enough reputation to have a way to indicate that they find an edit is not valid.


  • 2
    As an aside, as for the example: I feel that the edit did not change the meaning of the question. Also, instead of rolling back, you could have at least kept the improved formatting? – Arjan Feb 9 '12 at 17:29
  • @Arjan: As you told whether that edit changed the meaning of the question is another debate (but I consider there is a difference between what is meant by “portable application” and “mobile edition of a software”. Regarding the improved formatting I must confess that I was quick, but the original formatting is not that bad. – Benoit Feb 9 '12 at 17:38
  • 1
    I stand corrected, Benoit, I totally missed that one word that was changed, which indeed changed the meaning. Still then, the system does allow for reverting it just like you did; I don't see the need for "suggest rollback", but apparently others do. – Arjan Feb 9 '12 at 17:40
  • @Benoit You need to clarify in the question what you mean by "portable application" as opposed to a mobile application or mobile optimized web site. The reason for the original edit is that your question is too ambiguous to be answered properly. – Jarrod Nettles Feb 9 '12 at 17:42
  • @Jarrod, it was not Benoit's question... – Arjan Feb 9 '12 at 17:43
  • @Arjan I see that now. Although why is this meta question on Stackoverflow when this is a Programmers.SE issue??? – Jarrod Nettles Feb 9 '12 at 17:46
  • 2
    @Jarrod Because it's a feature request for a network-wide feature. (Suggested rollbacks) – Troyen Feb 9 '12 at 18:10

I found a way to do it without copy-pasting the original:

  • Go back to the question
  • Go to the edit page
  • Select previous revision in the combo box that lists revisions
  • provide a reason for rolling back
  • This looks to be the best solution -- allowing you suggest a rollback without having to do major editing or copy-pasting or forgo the entry of an edit reason. – user154510 Feb 9 '12 at 17:56

You can do this as a suggested edit and post the reason for your edit.

Looking at the question, it looks like this is exactly what you have done and that it was accepted.


I've looked at the original and mine and I don't see a difference in meaning - only in wording and clarity.

I felt that your question was somewhat obscure and not worded very well - can you explain to me how it changed the nature of the question? I wasn't trying to hijack your question, only trying to make it more easily understood by the general community.

  • See Benoit's comment below the question: it was about the term "portable" versus "mobile". Still then, it was just an example for the feature request of course. – Arjan Feb 9 '12 at 17:42
  • 2
    Glad you found this but this should really be a comment since it does not address the problem we are speaking of! That's not my question (asker is this stacker; however I left an answer on it). I feel there is a huge difference between a “portable application” (check on portableapps.com for example) and an application for mobile devices. Re-read both versions with that in mind and you'll probably understand why I said it changed the meaning. – Benoit Feb 9 '12 at 17:43

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .