The Computer Science/software site is called Stack Overflow. That has a natural meaning for that field. The more general site is called Stack Exchange. What does that refer to?


1 Answer 1


I believe since Stack Overflow was the first site in the exchange the 'Stack' just comes from there for familliarity/branding. Exchange as a suffix come comes from the generic term 'knowledge exchange', which Jason Calacanis explained to Joel and Jeff in Podcast #56, half a year before the launch of Stack Exchange 1.0.

  • Good educated guess becomes hard-facts concrete answer. Well done to both of you! :) PLUS ONE
    – Lix
    Commented Feb 13, 2012 at 17:17

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .