We're doing some spring cleaning on Super User, which involves disambiguating tags, merging them, creating synonyms etc.
However, one of the most troublesome things is removing a tag.
Often, it's easy enough to agree that a tag should be burninated completely, possibly even blacklisted. But then, we're told that "only devs can do it". From time to time, Trogdor appears and the tag is gone.
Often, there is a list of questions that are currently tagged with something, but need that tag removed. There's no way to do this, currently, without mods needing to step on some dev's toes.
Diamond moderators should – given community consensus – be able to remove a tag:
- from the site, entirely, or
- a list of questions
- No more mass-retagging and front-page flooding just to remove a tag (e.g. when we'd rather do it manually than wait for a dev to do it)
- Huge amount of time saved
- No need for moderators on smaller sites to get devs to perform the deletion
- The site's own community can make a decision within their own moderation policy