Consider this scenario:
- John asks a question.
- Alice posts a comment on the question, John gets a notification.
- John replies to Alice's comment. Alice gets notified and replies.
- Jason comes over and posts a comment of his own to the question.
- John wants to reply to Jason's comment, so he presses
@and needs to think for a second... "Alice, or Jason?"
- The auto complete starts working only after typing the first letter. Having a blonde moment, John types
Aand notifies Alice instead of Jason.
Now my suggestion: when there are two or more other users who posted comments, have the
@ auto fill the name of the last person who addressed you - Jason in the above scenario. Meant someone else? Just use backspace and type the proper name.