Area 51 is awesome for proposing Stack Exchange sites, but what about using it to propose projects, sites, applications, tools, etc.?
- You could propose a project.
- Committers would be committed to collaborate as a developer, researcher, etc...
- Followers could track the status of the project
- Instead of example questions, there would be feature or method proposals to help define the scope of the project
- Proposals could be tagged by language, categorized by scope (project, application, tool, mobile, etc.)
- The proposer and those with highest number of Stack Exchange reputation points would be considered project leads (or democratically vote)
- Maybe need new phases after commitment (development, private beta, public beta, production)
These are just some base ideas I came up with and could probably think of more... I would have proposed on Area 51 itself, but I felt it may have confused some typical users.
Quick Note Some believed I was trying to re-purpose Area 51 and end its current functionality. This is not the case. Simply, I think the Area 51 engine is most similar to this idea and could be cloned and modified easily into this scope.
Overall, I'm asking if this is something that StackExchange would consider implementing to allow the community to collaborate on projects, and to find participants who share their interests and enthusiasm for particular undertakings.