Close votes age away harmlessly if the threshold is not reach after a number of days. If the question has at least 100 views, close votes will age away after 4 days; otherwise close votes will age away after 14 days. Each new close vote resets the timer, so all close votes must be at least 4 or 14 days old respectively before aging occurs.
So say that a question has 99 views, two close votes and is then dormant for 8 days. It's then edited and gets view #100. Assuming there were no further votes cast, what then happens to those close votes exactly?
- All expire immediately as they're way more than 4 days old but now there are 100+ views
- All expire simultaneously 4 days after the 100th view was reached
- Start to age away at one per day immediately after there are 100 views
- Start to age away at one per day on the 12th day (so, 4 days since 100+ views)*
- Do something else entirely