5

I was reviewing old tag questions this morning, and I came upon this one which is tagged with :

Why is there a flicker when swapping an inner Panel?

Do we need a tag like this? I think it's unlikely that someone would be an expert in solving cross-language flicker problems. Wouldn't it be better to just tag it with the appropriate technologies, in this case , , and the like?

I have reviewed a sampling of the 310 questions tagged as and this tag doesn't seem to be useful. Is there an easy way for administrators to just remove all instances of a tag like this? Or should they all be reviewed manually and have their tags re-adjusted?

7
  • 2
    It should be merged into doublebuffered...and while we're at it, same goes for doublebuffering. ...Or we create a new tag: double-buffer as target for this. Oct 8, 2012 at 13:09
  • I'm tempted to make flicker a synonym of awt. ;p (Unfortunately the correlation isn't strong enough.) Oct 8, 2012 at 13:11
  • 4
    Some appear to be misspelled (ironically) tags for Flickr. Flickr is a valid tag, don't know of any other revelevant users though.
    – Ben Brocka
    Oct 8, 2012 at 13:14
  • @UnicornifiedBobby Are all of the flickering problems due to double-buffering? I like that this would help users who tag their question with flickering get to the double-buffered community. Oct 8, 2012 at 13:59
  • @BenBrocka I fixed those mis-taggings. Oct 8, 2012 at 14:15
  • @ErickRobertson: Those tags are already borderline, and flicker is for sure not valid, double-buffer would at least be a related, half-valid tag. And yes, I'd argue that 99% of all cases when something flickers that it can be fixed or is related to double-buffering, the other 1% are stuff like vsync, interlacing and broken video files. Oct 8, 2012 at 14:22
  • 5
    @UnicornifiedBobby I think the biggest argument for getting rid of all those tags is that double-buffering is a solution word. Many people who are having this type of problem won't know to tag their question this way. Oct 8, 2012 at 16:36

0

Browse other questions tagged .