Where should I put a question about servers in a home environment? The Server Fault FAQ says, "...related to managing computer systems in a professional capacity," and "and it is not about anything in a home setting." I have a website running from my computer at home and was wondering where I should put questions pertaining to it.
Super User could be the site where to ask such questions, as the accepted questions are about:
- Computer hardware
- Computer software
- Personal and home computer networking
Questions about the following topics are off-topic:
- Videogames or consoles
- Websites or web services like Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress
- Electronic devices, media players, cell phones or smart phones, except insofar as they interface with your computer
- Issues specific to corporate IT support and networks
- A shopping or buying recommendation
Alternatively, if the question is about Apple computers, you can ask the question on Ask Different.
but the second one was about how to set up a Telnet server.
If it's a question that would be a totally good fit on Server Fault except for the fact that it's for a home environment instead of a professional one, I would fire away on SF and pretend I'm doing this in a professional capacity. That Telnet question you mention may fit well in that category.
Depending on the question I'd go with either:
Pro Webmasters - Stack Exchange is for professional and enthusiast webmasters. If your question generally covers the operation of websites which you control, then you’re in the right place to ask your question!
- Stack Overflow for more specific questions about site performance, etc.