Disable chat migration notification if one of the users has insufficient rep?
I frequently find myself helping new users with <20 rep with questions. These users need more than the usual number of comment exchanges for clarification, leading to long comment threads. SO begins nagging me to migrate the conversation to chat.
That'd be fine, except for two annoying issues that've caused me to tag this
bug (though perhaps "working as designed, but badly" is closer):
If the user has <20 rep, SO offers to move the conversation to chat, but fails with "[user] has only xx reputation, not enough to chat". It continues to nag me.
If go to a channel that I own and use the owner tools to add a new user to the write list, this operation fails with "Users must have at least 20 reputation to talk" even though the label on that option says "Even when this room is read-only or their reputation is too low, these users will be able to talk in this room".
In both cases the site is inviting me to do things, then telling me "No, actually, you can't do that". It's seriously annoying.
I'd like to propose that the following changes be adopted:
- Allow comment threads with users with <20 rep to be invited to auto-created chat rooms by users with >???? rep; or
- Quit nagging, at least if the other user has high rep, just trust them
Additionally, to address the channel manager experience:
- Either restore the ability to allow users with <20 rep to be added to chat rooms by owners if those owners have high rep on the site; or
- Amend the admin interface so it says "even channel owners cannot add users with <20 rep" and improve the error message to explain that the feature to add write access does work, just not for super-low rep users.
This is related to but not a dup of the following questions:
- Allow inviting people with rep < 20 to private chat?
- Why isn't there a NO option for the "automatically move this to chat" link?
- new users without rep to chat
Here's a screenshot series to illustrate the current experience:
SO is nagging me to migrate this to chat, so let's do that:
Um ... why'd you ask me to migrate it if you won't let me?:
Well, I'm an owner of this chat channel, I can manually grant them write on that channel
and they have a profile on the site:
... so let's add the user to grant them write access:
but, wtf, that's also refused:
Twice I'm offered the option to do something, then told no, you can't do that. This is really bad user experience.