Right now this is what happens when your post gets closed and deleted:
- If the deleter also left a comment,
- If the deleter is a moderator, or
- If the deleter is a 10k user who used a canned message,
- then you will be notified about it in the inbox, and
- then you can follow the link to the post, where you can read the comment in full.
The problem is that the intended workflow breaks at the last point when the post is a question. A new user who gets his post deleted just gets the inbox comment with the first 100 characters of the comment, unless the comment is longer than 100 characters, then it's 97 characters and three dots for the ellpsis. Following the link gets you a 404 error.
Additionally this leaves no trace in the Responses tab of your profile, which is not awesome.
I find it hard to believe that this is the intended behaviour. There are multiple ways to fix this:
- Make deleted questions always visible to their owners
- Handle this corner case specificaly:
- Show the comment in the responses tab (this should happen anyway).
- Make the inbox link go to the relevant entry in the responses tab, instead of offering a broken link knowingly.
- Disable the behaviour completely for questions.