I think I just had a pretty good idea: could we have domain-specific WYSIWYG editors (like miniature / context specific image editors) for specific Stacks? Here are some uses:
- a circuit diagram editor for electrical engineering
- a graph editor (both 2d and 3d) for math.stackexchange + physics
- a chemical structure diagramming tool
- automatic data graphing tools for cross validated
- a mockup tool for web applications + user experience
- a map editor for GIS
- a map editor for game development
- something simple to add arrows, circles, highlights etc to existing images
Of course each set of tools would have to be tailor-made for each QA, and we would have to find a sponsor for the generated images to be hosted (like imageshack, imgur or something), but this could totally be done. We could use paper.js or processing.js to do the rendering, and then each tool could be plugged into the related QA's editor.
What do you think? Shall I get to programming?