Using StackOverflow in Chrome, sometimes when I open a question in a new tab, the favicon does not show. I haven't managed to track it down to any pattern such as specific links, it appears to be random as far as I can tell. I know it's a minor bug, but still a bug. All bugs must be squashed eventually.
As people have hinted to, it could possibly be an issue with internet connection quality. I put this theory to the test.
Here is my internet speed test results (just one random test):
And here's the quality (ping) test results (just one random test):
And my computer:
- Dell Vostro 220 Mini Tower
- Intel 2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz (minimally used during test)
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
- 4GB RAM (minimally used during test)
- C: 57GB free of 132GB; E: 53GB free of 100GB; G: 71GB free of 465GB (3 different physical disks)
- NIC: 1GB Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
During this test...
- Killed any application which could interfere with CPU/RAM/NIC usage
- Completely shut down Chrome, then restarted only to open Stack Overflow
- Browsed various questions, right-clicked and selected "open in new tab"
- Observed 4 out of 20 "new tabs" randomly without their favicon
- Observed no pattern in which pages were producing issue
- The same URL when clicked twice might or might not produce issue either time
This at least rules out the possibility of internet quality. This building has a fiber line on a 10/10 speed, and a business Cisco network.
I've seen this issue even on our old network and internet connection which were entirely primitive compared to the network infrastructure now. I originally asked this back before we upgraded everything. I've also gone through a complete Windows re-install on both the computers I use since then as well.