Clicking the mail icon on a Careers candidate does not bring up the Messages tab for a reply; it instead brings up the History & Notes tab so you have the freedom to think you've replied, while all you've done is leave a note-to-self regarding the appointment you think you've scheduled with the applicant.
Current behavior: Clicking on a candidate always displays the
History & Notes tab, regardless of which tab you were using last. Messages are displayed nearly identically in History & Notes so there are no secondary visual clues that the message you thought you send was in fact a note-to-self.
This is truly terrible UX behavior in my opinion.
I would suggest one or more of the following solutions
- Remember the selected tab for each given candidate.
- Remember the last selected tab, regardless of candidate.
- Default to display the Messages tab when there are new messages.
- Just default to the Messages tab if there are any messages present.
- Default to any other tab except the Deceptive History & Notes Tab Of Doom.
- Make the candidate 'blurbs' have individually clickable regions. Say - clicking the name/profile images brings up the Profile, clicking the red Mail icon brings up messages, and clicking the description brings up History & Notes.
Any of these solutions would make this system less horribly error-prone.
If the current behavior was an over-correction from this question, I urge you to find a balance. Perhaps different accent colors within the tabs, even?