Go figure, no sooner do I write up a loving description of how answer permalinks solve the problem of linking to answers when there are multiple pages of them...
...than I discover this maddening game:
- Set your answer sort preference to "votes".
- Find a question with two pages of answers, where answers with no up-votes span both pages.
- Follow a permalink to an answer with no up-votes (this one works as I write this).
- Make a note of the author's name, or some bit of unique text (this will make step #5 somewhat easier).
- Reload the page until it no longer displays the answer linked to. You can search for the bit of text identified in #4 to verify this.
- Flip to whatever page you didn't land on. Note that the answer is there.
Depending on the number of answers and your current luck, #5 may take a fair number of page refreshes before the problem manifests itself. Be patient...
- As Jeff Atwood points out, this won't happen if you're not logged in.
- Occasionally, step #6 will fail, leaving you unable to find the desired answer on either page.